SWEA International, Inc. Region Middle Americas Scholarship/Travel Grant
SWEA International, Inc. (Swedish Women’s Educational Association) is a global non-profit organization for Swedish women who live, or have lived, outside Sweden. SWEA’s mission is to promote Swedish culture and traditions. SWEA supports education through scholarships and cultural community events.
SWEA is a GLOBAL NETWORK with 7,500 Swedish speaking women in more than 70 chapters in over 30 countries.
SWEA was founded in Los Angeles 1979 by Agneta Nilsson.
SWEA region Middle Americas (MAME) consists of approximately 850 members in the following states: Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas, as well as in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The Scholarship/Travel Grant
This Scholarship/Travel Grant is proposed to broaden and deepen the applicant’s knowledge of any of the following areas: the Swedish Language and Literature, Swedish History and Culture (including Arts and Crafts, Architecture, Theatre, Music, etc.) or in Swedish Social Studies (Swedish Women’s Studies, Swedish Health Care or Sustainability, etc.) at a recognized school or higher institution of learning.
SWEA MAME will award a scholarship/grant biennially in the amount of $2,000. Both women and men are encouraged to apply.
- must reside in one of the following MAME state in USA: Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas or Ontario, Canada
- must be at least 16 years of age
- have a demonstrated interest in at least one of the following areas: Swedish history, language or culture
- have evidence of contact between him/her and the institution(s) where studies will take place
- the subject of study must already be initiated by the applicant and evidence thereof be stated in the application
- studies must begin by the summer or fall of the year proposed
- studies must be finished by May the year after
- must be willing to give a presentation to the SWEA chapter closest to him/her on his/her new findings/experience (if not possible, other arrangements may be made with the committee)
- must account for his or her use of the scholarship money; this should be done in writing to the Scholarship Committee
- cannot be a SWEA member, nor be closely related to a SWEA member
If you have questions, please send an e-mail directly to mame(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)swea.org or to dallas(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)swea.org